Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Nicole Cowns Caldwell

800 Bouziden...to me it was always fun. I looked forward to the family events in which it meant that somehow Stephanie and I could inevitably talk you guys into letting us have an entire weekend of fun. I remember good food there too. Comfort foods... my mom remembers some amazing pork chops..her words,"The best damn pork chops I've ever had!" I remember when there was just a field behind the house.  We would play outside in the little white playhouse until it was too hot to play. Then go inside and be scared and teased by Jaun..I briefly remember a moment that an impending threat of being tossed over the stair railing was looming above us. I also remember watching Juan swing over the stair railing with the coat rack there, and the banter between Steph and him about telling on one another. Some how Koolaid..tropical punch sticks out but I don't remember why. I'll never forget how to get to that house. Even after not going there for a decade plus, because of living elsewhere, I remember heading to Moore the days that followed and not knowing names of streets but instinctively knowing that was the place where I had fun with my cousins.  I recall always feeling welcomed into a family,  I was an outsider... there's no mexican in me! But when my parents got married I was just a part of the family as though I'd always been. Being drawn to Stephanie and always wanting to hang out at her house. That house seemed so huge as a kid. I think those stairs..I'd never lived in a house with stairs.  I remember making swimming pools for Barbies and making messes we probably shouldn't have! There were slug bugs in the driveway..or some sort of car..a project I guess.maybe I'm crazy..  I don't have as many memories as others may but I do remember it always being a fun place I wanted to be when I got the opportunity. Thanks for always making it a fun place..that's what made it more than a house, but a home. 

Many blessings,
Nicole (Cowns)Caldwell

No comments:

Post a Comment